Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2022

2021 Top 10


"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

Close your eyes and imagine me singing that Christmas song in the beginning of May. That's exactly what's happening this weekend! The Social Security Office released the most popular names for 2021 (the most recent year of data). If you are a namer than you probably have similar feelings as myself. Some people in the name community call this Namer's Christmas and I couldn't agree with them more. 

I've been looking over the data since yesterday and collecting all sorts of fun info. I have lots of posts idea to share but we're going to start with the simple top 10. 



Boys
1. Liam
2. Noah
3. Oliver
4. Elijah
5. James +1
6. William -1
7. Benjamin
8. Lucas
9. Henry
10. Theodore +13 

Girls
1. Olivia
2. Emma
3. Charlotte +1
4. Amelia +2
5. Ava -1
6. Sophia-1
7. Isabella
8. Mia
9. Evelyn
10. Harper 



We have a new comer to the boy's list! Mr. Theodore jumped 13 spots and landed a place in the top 10 knocking Alexander down to #13. I have to say I am very excited for that jump. To me, Theodore is a timeless name that doesn't feel dated. Other than Theodore's jump the boy names stayed relatively the same. In fact, the only other movement was the switch between James and William. 

2021 bought no new names to the girl's top 10. In fact the only movement on the list was in the middle spots. I will say I am excited that Charlotte is inching closer to #1 (even if it was only one spot). I have a feeling we will see her move higher up in the near future. 

Now I have never done this in the past but while I was looking at the top 100 list I noticed something. Jack jumped 10 spots to #11, just shy of the top 10. So then I got to thinking and went to take a look at the number of babies given the names Theodore and Jack (#10 and #11 respectively). Theodore was given to 9,535 boys and Jack was given to 9,504. That means Jack missed the top 10 by just 31 babies. It seems that the difference between #10 and #11 is a couple of hundred babies but I did see a gap as small as just 10 babies. Will Jack make it into the top 10 next year?

Liam
  • For the 5th year in a row Liam is the reigning champ! 
  • He's been in the top 10 since 2012 and when he jumped into the top 10 he went from #15 to #6. 

Olivia
  • Olivia has been #1 now for 3 years running. 
  • She has been in the top 10 since 2001
  • She has been in the top 1000 every year since 1880

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...