Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Year of Names

While browsing the name beyond the top 1000 I came across a bunch of the month names such as November and December. That got me thinking, how many babies were given each month as a name in 2016? Better yet, when did we first start seeing each month used? After some research I came up with the answers. There were a few names that have never been used for one gender and even one name never used for either gender or any year!*



January 
Girls- 20 (1951, 7 babies)
Boys- N/A (Never Used)
January is a name that screams girl to me, maybe because of January Jones but it looks like I am not the only one who thinks that. January was never used for more than 5 boys since the SSA name charts came out in 1880. I was first introduced to the name through  documentary of a little girl with schizophrenia named January Schofield who went by Jani. Nicknames are one of my favorite things about names so you will find a lot of nicknames mentioned throughout this post. For January nicknames like Jani, Jan, Ari, and even Jana all work for January. 

February 
Girls- N/A (Never Used)
Boys- N/A (Never Used)
February is the month at the end of winter on the way to spring. A month of love and romance and feelings. Part of me is surprised that the name has never been used not on a boy or girl and not over the last 130+ years. Then there is the only part that is not so surprised. The name can be hard to say and a little awkward when it rolls off the tongue. I do love the nickname options like Rue, Airy, and Ebbie. 

March
Girls- N/A (1919, 5 babies)
Boys- N/A (1900, 5 babies)
March is one of the month names that I love on both genders. For girls I really enjoy it as a nickname for Marcheline and for boys I enjoy it just on its own. Not only is this a month name it is also a word/verb name. Call me crazy but I feel like the verb aspect of the name makes it more masculine. Like boys marching to the beat or marching in the military. If you are looking for a feminine feel to the name than just thinking of the March sisters from Little Women. 

April
Girls- 820 (1917, 6 babies)
Boys- N/A (1959, 9 boys)
April is and has always been a girl dominated name. In the 1970s the name ranked in the top 30 and was at its prime. Now it is ranked at #402. It was once the most popular month name for a girl that is until June came into play. Do you think April is dated? I personally would be surprised to meet a baby April.

May
Girls- 131 (1880, 62 babies)
Boys- N/A (1882, 8 babies)
I have a little secret for you. May is not ranked in the top 1000 for 2016! But her sister spelling Mae is at #582. I was super surprised about that and stopped to really think about why more parents like the Mae spelling rather than May. I came up with he theory that Mae looks less like a month name. It is also more vintage looking and vintage names are coming back in style. When it came to finding boys named May I thought if there was any chance it would be back in the 1880s or 1900s. I was really happy to find that I was right!


June
Girls- 1180 (1880, 9 babies) 
Boys- 16 (1880, 14 babies)
June is now the most popular month name for girls. With all of the June inspired names out there I can only imagine how many little girls actually go by June. In 2016 June was ranked at #268 and has been rising since it came back on the charts in 2008. The short and sweet sound she brings along with a  not super girly feel are perfect to love. June sounds a lot like Jude and I can see how it works on boys. I wouldn't be against a little boy named June. Heck when the name first appear to be used it was used for more boys than girls! 



July
Girls- 22 (1962, 6 girls)
Boys- 13 (1973, 5 boys)
Like March, July is a name I enjoy equally on both genders. When writing in cursive I get a very girly feel to it with all the loops. But when I think of the month and what happens in the month, Fourth of July and patriotic, I think boy. The month itself is named after a man, Julius Caesar, making me think more along the lines of boys. And this might even be a long shot but July could work as a nickname for Julius or Julian. 

August
Girls- 222 (1914, 6 babies)
Boys- 2078 (1880, 210 babies)
If there is any name on this list that is going to dominate the boy category than its August. It is ranked at #193 in 2016 and given to over 2000 babies. It is not only the most popular month name for boys but it is the most popular month name overall. The vintage appeal of the name along with celebrities using it may just have an impact on the popularity. I adore Gus as a nickname or even Auggie. I do think the girls are trying to steal away the name. I was shocked to find out 222 babies were named August in 2016.

September
Girls- 22 (1955, 20 babies)
Boys- N/A (Never Used)
I grew up listening to the song September by Earth, Wind, and Fire. It's my mom's favorite song and I haven't been able to figure out if its because she was born in September or not. The month is the start of Fall when the leaves are falling. I always think of school starting and a new season of life. Ember, Emmy, Temper, and Berry all work as nicknames for girls. Personality I prefer the name on a girl. 

October 
Girls- 56 (1969, 5 babies)
Boys- 6 (2016)
My mom and brother got my hooked on this really cool game show called Beat Shazam. Basically the contestants listen to a few seconds of a song and have to name the title of it. Well, on the show there is a Dj named October (girl)! I would say that is the first time I have really heard the name on a person. I think the name works on both genders. Toby makes a nice nickname for boys and familiarizes the name. 

November
Girls- 49 (1971, 6 babies)
Boys- N/A (Never Used)
September and November are such similar names to me. They both were given to no boys ever yet are not popular for girls. With the same ending and 2 syllables you can see the similarities. When you think of the month itself you may think of Thanksgiving and giving thanks. Unlike September, November has a plethora of usable nicknames. Nova, Novi/Novie, Emmy, Ember, Eva, and Vema. 

December 
Girls- 32 (1960, 5 babies)
Boys- 6 (2016)
December is the start of winter and the month of Christmas. The name brings about images of snow, lights, family, carols, cookies, and so much more. December, like October, is a month name that I find usable both genders. There is sort of a masculine feel to the name when paired with eh nicknames Dex and Dec. When paired with the nicknames Ember, Dessi, Demi, and Dee I get a soft, feminine fell.  

It looks like month names are more favorited towards the girls.I have to say it was cool to see the names in numbers. I may just do something like this again.

* When I saw never used I mean never used by 5 or more babies. There may be people out there named February or September just not 5 for a certain year.

 photo small blog signature_zpsmlvv5oyk.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...