Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"Rare" Names: J Girl Names


Hey all! We are back with the J girl names. I am just a posting machine lately! I found out how easy it is to post via the app. I have had the app but never know how to use it. Now I use it and get more post out! I'm loving it and I hope you are too. Anyway back to the post. I have a love hate relationship with J names. So names I love and others I can't stand. Their are times when don't like any J names. So let's get started.

Sweet pea Juniper Arwen

Jamila (jah-MIL-uh, jah-MEE-luh)
  • Meaning- lovely
  • Origin- Arabic
  • Siblings- Ayanna and Stefan
I had never heard of Jamila better doing this post. It's really sweet and exotic. I have heard of and like the name Mila. Mila would make a perfect nickname for Jamila. Out of the 2 pronunciations I like jah-MEE-uh. It makes more sense to me because of the Mila part.

Janine
  • Meaning. Simplified form of Jeannine
  • Origin- English
  • Siblings- Rhonda and Darren
Janine sounds very grandma to me. I can't image it on a little baby or little girl but it would make a great middle name. I'm not really liking the spelling either. 

Jeanette
  • Meaning- diminutive of Jean
  • Origin- French
  • Siblings- Marianne and Lawrence 
Jeanette is very dated to me. If I meet a baby named Jeanette today I would be pleasantly surprised. This would make a really good middle name and seems to go with most names. 

Jemima
  • Meaning- dove
  • Origin- Hebrew
  • Siblings- Philippa and Homer
The first thing I think of when I hear Jemima is the syrup. Growing up I loved the name Jemima. I always thought it was so cool. Now I would consider it a guilty pleasure name for me. 

Jensen
  • Meaning- Son of Johannes
  • Origin- Finnish, Danish, and Norwegian
  • Siblings- Arden and Paxton 
At first I didn't like the name Jensen on a girl but since doing this post it has really grown on me. You can use the nicknames Jen and Jenny, whereas for a boy they wouldn't be possible. This is another name I would consider adding to my guilty pleasure list. It's just very spunky and upbeat to me.

Jeri
  • Meaning- feminine form of Jerry
  • Origin- American
  • Siblings- Vicki and Curt
I don't like Jeri at all! It's too nickname for me and it sounds like it should be on a old man. I would be able to tolerate it as a nickname but it would still bother me. 

Jessamine
  • Meaning- jasmine
  • Origin- French and Persian
  • Siblings- Felicity and Prescott 
This is such a pretty name. It's so refreshing to hear Jessamine instead of Jessica. It's nice and long and the nickname Jessi is really cute. 

Jezebel
  • Meaning- not exalted
  • Origin- Hebrew
  • Siblings- Salome and Jericho
I have heard some bad things about this name. I do know some people on formspring like this name and I personally don't think it is a bad name. It's cute and it also looks cool. 

Jill
  • Meaning- youthful
  • Origin- Latin
  • Siblings- Tina and Scott
I don't like the name Jill but that is really only because I have had a bad association with a Jill. It's cute as a nickname for Jillian and Jillian as a whole is a nice name. 

Jo
  • Meaning- Short form of Jo- names
  • Origin- English, German, and Dutch
  • Siblings- Gail and Ted
Jo is such a cute nickname but I don't like it as a full name. It looks incomplete on its own. If it was spelled Joe I would think it was a boy so the spelling Jo, although it looks incomplete, is what I would use for a girl. 

Joan
  • Meaning- God is gracious
  • Origin- Hebrew
  • Siblings- Carol and Gene 
Joan is a name I have heard only on people in their 30's or older. It's a great middle name but I don't like it on a baby. 

Joanne
  • Meaning- Variant of Joan
  • Origin-English
  • Siblings- Peggy and Dale
I have a really good family friend named Joanne. I think her name is really sweet and personally Joanne would make a great middle name. If I was going to use a Jo- name it would be either Johannah or Joanna. They both look more girl in comparison to Joanne. 

Jodi
  • Meaning- Variant of Jody
  • Origin- English
  • Siblings- Lori and Bart
I love the name Jodi! It's short and sweet. I also like the author Jodi Picoult and using Jodi as a middle name would be a nice way to honor my love for reading. 

Josefa
  • Meaning- Feminine form of Joseph
  • Origin- Spanish, Portuguese, and Czech
  • Siblings- Rafaela and Bertram 
I'm not a fan of Josefa. For me to say Josefa it's awkward. It also sounds and looks very boyish.  

Judy
  • Meaning- Diminutive of Judith
  • Origin- English
  • Siblings- Lynda and Dennis
For some reason, unknown to me, I really love the name Judy. It's sweet. Now I don't like Judith with the nickname Judy and that happens a lot to me. I like a nickname but no full name. Some people may say Judy is dated and it is but I still think it can be usable. 

June
  • Meaning- From the month name
  • Origin- English
  • Siblings- Marjorie and Clark
June can go either way in the dated department. Some people consider it dated, while overs don't. It is making its comback and I have been hearing a lot about this name over the last few months. I personally like it as both a nickname and a middle name. This is a name I can see becoming a fuller middle name because it goes with almost every name! 

Junia
  • Meaning-Queen of heaven
  • Origin- Latin
  • Siblings- Magdalene and Matthias
I love the names Juniper, and June so I'm not surprised that I love Junia. It sounds so different and with the names June and Juniper becoming more popular its nice to hear Junia.It also looks pretty and is easy to spell. I may add this name to my long list.

Juniper
  • Meaning- From the English word for the type of tree
  • Origin- English
  • Siblings- Clementine and Barnaby 
I love the name Juniper! Right now Juniper is in my top 10 list. I have it paired with Tess. It is also the name of a tree and a much lesser known nature name. I like the nickname Junie and it may sound familiar to you if you read the Junie B. Jones books growing up. 

Juno
  • Meaning- Queen of heaven
  • Origin- Latin
  • Siblings- Isis and Thor
The very first time I heard the name Juno was when the movie came out, making that the first thing I think of when I hear the name. The second thing I think of is the phrases "You Know". I know it doesn't make much sense but it's because of the Alaska capital joke.


So there you have it! The long list of "rare" J names for girls. I'm actually surprised that I would names that I liked and hadn't heard of before! I am thinking there won't be a post up tomorrow because I am very busy but there will hopefully be on up Friday. Be sure to check back soon.


 What is your favorite J girl name of all time?
What is one nickname you like but don't like any full names for?
What is one name people find dated but you love? 


Photo Credit: http://bernalwood.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/welcome-to-bernalwood-baby-juniper-arwen-anemone-sagan-donner-hermes-ximm/



5 comments:

  1. ohmygosh I love Juniper Arwen as a name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so cute!? Her full name on her birth certificate was Juniper Arwen Anemone Sagan Donner Hermes LAST NAME. It's a grand name.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing such an awesome list of baby names. We are researching on baby girl names and found this article so helpful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...