Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

"Rare" L Boy Names

Happy Monday everyone! As usual I have another "rare" series for you. Unlike the last "rare" series this one isn't as long. I have to say that there are some pretty good names in this list. Read on to find out!

Baby Linus!

Lachaln

  • Meaning: Irish
  • Origin: From the land of lakes
  • Siblings: Catriona and Gregor

I love Lachlan. I have been seeing more people look and talk about Lachlan. There is one problem with Lachlan and that is pronunciation. It's pronounced Lock-lyn not Latch-lynn. I still find this a really great name. It's strong and a nice Irish name that isn't popular.

Lazarus

  • Meaning: God is my help
  • Origin: Hebrew
  • Siblings: Salome and Bartholomew

Lazarus is an amazing name. It is a great biblical name. I like that it contains a Z. The Z gives it a little bit of an edge. When I look for nicknames I see a few really cool ones. There is Laz, Zary, and even Zeus. I think my favorite is Zeus.

Leander

  • Meaning: Lion man
  • Origin: Greek
  • Siblings: Camilla and Thaddeus

I love Leander! At one point it was in my top 10. It ends in -er like a lot of boy names, which makes it very appealing. Leander also sounds like Alexander but without the added popularity. I like the nicknames Lee or Ander for Leander. I also find Leander to be really strong but than again I think most Greek names are strong.

Leif (LAYF, LEEF, LIYF)

  • Meaning: Heir; loved
  • Origin: Scandinavian
  • Siblings: Dania and Aric

Leif is really cute! It's different but not super out there. Leif is a nice nature name and not too popular either. I like how short and sweet it is. I do think people are afraid to use it because it is very nature-y. If you are afraid to use it as a first name it is great as a middle name. Leif is one syllable and goes with so many names.

Lemuel (LEHM-yoo-el)

  • Meaning: Belonging to God
  • Origin: Hebrew
  • Siblings: Bethel and Ephron

I don't really like Lemuel. It looks and sounds too strange to me and that is a lot for me to say. I feel like a lot of people will mispronounce it. It's really a little too unique for someone in the United Sates.

Lennox

  • Meaning: With many elm trees
  • Origin: Scottish and Gaelic 
  • Siblings: Tierney and Beckett

I love Lennox! It is such a cool baby name! I do like it on both a girl and a boy. I think it works for both but it is more popular for a boy. I love the x ending. It gives Lennox an edge. It's very sophisticated. Lennox reminds me of a business man. Overall a great name.

Leopold (LEE-uh-pohld)

  • Meaning: Brave people
  • Origin: German 
  • Siblings: Augusta and Archibald

Leopold is so, so strong! It makes me think of a ruler of a country in Europe. I find the name Leo to be so adorable. I really like Leopold as a full name for the nickname for Leo. It's a lot more unique than all of the other Leo names. I do think it ages ok, not great but okay.

Linus

  • Meaning: Flax
  • Origin: Greek
  • Siblings: Flora and Felix

The first thing I think of is Linus from Charlie Brown. I feel like a lot of people will think of him. Even with that I still really like Linus. I think it is vintage-y and nice. The only real problem I see is it really reminds me of a nerd and I think some people will think that too. Really it's a cute name.

Lionel

  • Meaning: Lion 
  • Origin: Latin 
  • Siblings: Margot and Stewart

The first thing I think of when I hear Lionel is the trains. I haven't had much exposure to the trains but that is the first thing I think of. I do see that as a teasing factor. I think Lionel is really cute but maybe used only as a middle name. I'm not the biggest of it.

Lloyd (LOYD)

  • Meaning: Gray-haired; sacred 
  • Origin. Welsh
  • Siblings: Velma and Willard

I think Lloyd is a really cute name but I do have some problems with it. One is it is really dated to me. The other really only applies to me and that is the only Lloyd I have heard of is a dog. I really think of dogs when I hear it. Maybe if I see a little boy with Lloyd I would like it more for a person.

Lon (LAHN)

  • Meaning: Diminutive of Alonso (noble)
  • Origin: Spanish 
  • Siblings: Nita and Hal

I love Lon as a nickname just not as a full name. Some names where Lon can be a nickname is Alonso/Alonzo, Thelonius, or Solon. It's really short and sweet. Lon also ages well from a baby to an elderly person.

Lorne (LOHRN)

  • Meaning: Place name
  • Origin: Scottish 
  • Siblings: Rhonda and Pernell

I'm not really a fan of Lorne. It reminds me of a girl too much and I don;t think it would be good for a little boy, although it is a boy name. I also think it is a little too old-fashioned.

Lucius

  • Meaning: From Lucanus 
  • Origin: Greek
  • Siblings: Aurelia and Theron

Lucius is so manly! I really like it with the nickname Luke. It really reminds me of dark things. I think this is a name that ages REALLY well. I can see it on all ages without it being to much for a baby or too cutesy for an adult.

Luther

  • Meaning: Soldier of the people 
  • Origin: German 
  • Siblings: Estelle and Claude

I think Luther is really old sounding. It also makes me think of Martin Luther King, Jr. If you want to honor MLK, than Luther is the perfect name for you. Really I think Luther would be too strong for a baby.

Lyle

  • Meaning: The island 
  • Origin: French 
  • Siblings: Roma and Doyle

I really like Lyle. The first time I heard it was on 16 and Pregnant when Nikkole Paulun named her son Lyle. As soon as I heard it I fell in love! It was so cool sounding and so different. I really like that it's not too different because it sounds so much like Kyle. It's definitely something I would like to see more.


There you have the "rare" L boy names! I really like this list! I will have another Name of the Week up on Wednesday. The only thing is I'm not sure what name to do! If you have any suggestions leave a comment below. Don't forget to answer the questions!

What is your favorite L boy name? 
What is your favorite nature boy name?
What is your favorite name with an unexpected nickname (ex. Lazarus nn Zeus)?

Photo Credit: http://katieoblinger.com/baby-linus-6-months/
Photobucket





2 comments:

  1. Lachlan is a Scottish name, not an Irish one! The "land of lakes" it refers to is Norway - the royal families of Scotland and Norway were intermingled, and many Scottish people, especially in the north, have Scandinavian ancestry. The Scottish islands in particular have a mixed Gaelic and Norse culture.

    Once you know it's Scottish, it's much easier to remember how to pronounce it - LOCK like Loch Lomond.

    This "rare" name has been Top 5 in Australia for many years, and the usual siblings for Lachlan are Jack and Ruby! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was but every place I looked said Irish. Thanks for telling me!

      It really surprises me when some names are on the list. Half of them aren't rare. I love Lachlan, Jack and Ruby as a sibset!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...