Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Traditional Irish Names {Girls}

Irish names are so beautiful. There are the names that are easy on English speaking parents like Aiden, Patrick, and Sean but what I really enjoy is the traditional Irish names. They can be hard to pronounce but are just beautiful. With St. Patrick's Day right I thought it would only be fitting to look at some beautiful Irish names.



Aoife
Pronounced EE-fa 
Meaning: Beauty 
In Irish legend Aoife was a warrior princess. She went to war with her sister but eventually reconciled with her. Sometimes the name is used as an Irish form of Eva or Eve.



Caoimhe 
Pronounced KEE-va
Meaning: Beautiful, Gentle, Kind 
This is such a beautiful name. I really like the anglicized spelling of the name, Keeva. Caoimhe is ranked in the top 20 in Ireland. I think the meaning is also pretty great. 



Gráinne
Pronounced GRAWN-ya
Meaning: Grain 
The first time I saw this name I had no idea it was Irish and thought that it was pronounced like grain. After some research I was corrected. Gráinne is the name of the ancient Irish goddess of grain. Sometimes the name is believed to mean love. 



Mairéad
Pronounced MAW-rayt or Ma-REYD
Meaning: Irish form of Margaret (pearl)
I actually know a girl with the name Mairead. She often tells people that her name is Parade but with an M. Its a great way to honor a Margaret and I am a huge fan of all things Margaret. To no surprise there is a saint with the name. 



Niamh
Pronounced NEEV
Meaning: Bright
I could die for this name! I get so excited to see it used. Irish legend says that Niamh was the daughter of the sea god. The name is in the top 50 in Ireland and #109 in England and Wales. 



Pádraigín
Pronounced PAW-dri-geen
Meaning: Irish form of Patricia (noblemen)
Most of the names on this list I have seen before but Pádraigín is new to me. I feel like this is one of the names that would give people a run for their money when they try to pronounce it. Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin is an Irish singer bearing the name. 



Róisín
Pronounced ROSH-een 
Meaning: Form of Rose
Róisín is very popular in Ireland at number 25.  There was poem from the 16th-17th century called Roisin Dubh or Dark Little Rose. I think this is such a cool alternative to Rose. 



Saoirse 
Pronounced SEER-sha
Meaning: Freedom 
Saoirse Ronan can be found in the movie The Lovely Bones and brought light to the name. After she started staring in more and more movies people slowly learned how to pronounce the name and were noticing it more. In Ireland the name is in the top 20 and has been for years. 



Siobhán
Pronounced shi-VAWN
Meaning: Variant of Jeanne (Yahweh is gracious) 
I knew a Siobhán in high school and thought it was the coolest thing. If you can't tell I was so excited to hear her name. Many early Irish queens had the name but it was introduced to America by actress Siobhan McKenna from the 1940s and 1950s. 



Úna
Pronounced OO-na
Meaning: Lamb 
I adore the name Una! Its probably my favorite U name for girls. Like other names on this list Una is from a poem. One called Una Poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson and For Una by Robinson Jeffers. Other spellings of the name include Oona, Unah, and Unna. 

 photo small blog signature_zpsmlvv5oyk.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...