Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

"Rare" M Girl Names Part 2



I haven't done a "rare" name post in a few months. One of the reasons is they take a lot of time and effort to write them up. I hope you like this post.

Matilda

  • Meaning: Mighty in Battle 
  • Origin: German 
  • Siblings: Adelaide and Leopoldo
I love the name Matilda. My favorite movie of all time is Matilda and that may have something to do with it. Its a really sweet name with cute nicknames. If I had to pick one nickname for Matilda it would be Tilly.  

Mattea (mah-TAY-uh)

  • Meaning: Gift of God
  • Origin: Hebrew 
  • Siblings: Rafaela and Enzo
Mattea is such a strong name but it reminds me of Matteo too much. I knew two Matteos so that could be the reason. I like how simpler it is to Madison and Madeleine but is also different. 

Maude

  • Meaning: Powerful Battler
  • Origin: German and English 
  • Siblings: Olive and August
I'm not a huge fan of Maude. The sound of it is not very pleasant sounding. To me it sounds more like a word than a name or something you wold name your little girl. 

Maura

  • Meaning: Dark Skinned
  • Origin: Latin
  • Siblings: Bridget and Rory
I love the name Maura. Its different but sounds so beautiful. It sounds fresh and clean. If you would like to honor a Laura you could always use Maura. There are a few different ways to pronounce the name Maura. I like the pronunciation Mare-uh but you may also say more-uh. 

Maureen

  • Meaning: Variant of Mary (Hebrew, Bitter)
  • Origin: Irish 
  • Siblings: Kathleen and Roger
Maureen is such a pretty name. I really like this name because it is a nice sound that you don't hear very often. I do have a second cousin named Maureen who goes by Moe. Mo/Moe is such a cute nickname for a little girl. 

Maxine
Meaning: Latin
Origin: Greatest
Siblings: Lorraine and Doyle
You hear Max a lot on a boy but not very often on a girl. Maxine can give you that Max nickname, which I think would be cute and unexpected. I can't really picture Maxine on a little baby but I can picture it on a girl or adult.

May

  • Meaning: Pearl
  • Origin: Greek
  • Siblings: Belle and Theo
I like May. It's short and sweet. I think the Mae spelling is nicer. It looks a lot fresher and more girly. You can use May as a nickname for Maybelle, Mayra. Mayla, or Mabel. If you want to honor someone who was born in May this is a great way. 


Mehitabel (meh-HIT-uh-behl)

  • Meaning: God Makes Happy
  • Origin: Hebrew
  • Siblings: Leocadia and Algernon
Before doing this series I had never heard of Mehitabel. It's definitely different. It sounds pretty but I'm not sure how much I like the spelling. The first thing I think about when I hear Mehitabel is how it has the same Belle ending as the popular name Isabelle. Maybe it the word hit wasn't int eh name it would become more popular. 

Melia (meh-LEE-uh, MEE-lee-uh)

  • Meaning: Ash Tree 
  • Origin: Greek 
  • Siblings: Calla and Aris
Melia is another really pretty name. I like the meh-LEE-uh pronunciation. The name Leah is really popular and Melia is such a nice alternative. Melly is a cute nickname for Melia. It's a very rich name also.

Melinda 

  • Meaning: Sweet
  • Origin: Latin
  • Siblings: Rochelle and Brent
Melinda is a dated name that I can see making a come back. It's very pretty sounding. Lindy is more of a modern name and you can always use Lindy as a nickname. I like that you wouldn't expect to se the name Melinda on a young child. It gives the name a little thrill. 

Melisande (MEH-li-sahnd)

  • Meaning: Form of Millicent 
  • Origin: French
  • Siblings: Evangeline and Peregrine 
Melisande is such a beautiful name! It looks and sounds so pretty. I like how you can honor a Melissa or Melanie. My only real concern with Melisande is that its too big and grand for a little girl. I mean she could grow into it or just use a nickname. 

Mercy

  • Meaning: Wages, Rewards
  • Origin: English 
  • Siblings: Joy and Judah
I love the name Mercy! Many virtue names are being used now such as Faith, and Hope. I think Mercy would be a great alternative to the popular names. It works as both a first name and a middle name. Mercy is a lovely quality to have. 

Merry

  • Meaning: Cheerful
  • Origin: English
  • Siblings: Cinda and Garry
The first thing I think about when I see the name Merry is Christmas. I don't exactly see Merry as a name for a little girl. I would much prefer is spelled Meri or Merri if it was going to be used. 

Mildred

  • Meaning: Gentle Strength 
  • Origin: English 
  • Siblings: Gladys and Wilbur
Mildred is one of those old lady names that I feel will never come back to style like many other names. It just sounds extremely dated and it also doesn't sound very pleasant. The only way I would be ok with this name is if the nickname Milly was used. 

Millicent

  • Meaning: Strong in Work
  • Origin: German 
  • Siblings: Winifred and Ernest
Just like Mildred, Millicent is an old lady name that is not going to come back into style. I would be extremely surprised if it did. I do think it is a little nicer than Mildred but not much. Milly is a cute nickname though. And now that I think about it I feel like a little girl would be made fun of if she was named Millicent. 

Mimi

  • Meaning: Diminutive of Maria 
  • Origin: Italian 
  • Siblings: Kiki and Rico
I love the nickname Mimi! It's so cute and girly. Now I don't think it ages well but if its used with a nice full name it would be ok. I like the names Mila, Amelia, and Camilla as full names for the nickname Mimi. 

Mindy

  • Meaning: Diminutive of Melinda 
  • Origin: English 
  • Siblings: Traci and Dusty
Mindy is a nice, surprising nickname but at the same time it is a little dated. You really don't hear many little girls named Mindy anymore. I don't love Mindy but I don't hate it either. It's just a name that its ok. 

Minerva (mi-NER-vuh)

  • Meaning: The mind 
  • Origin: Latin
  • Siblings: Althea and Hermes
Minerva is such a gorgeous name! I love it. Minerva sounds like a grand, princess name. I think the nickname Mimi would be really cute. Minerva was the goddess of wisdom, skill, and invention in Roman mythology. I'm not into mythology much but i find that to be a great association for a child. 

Misty

  • Meaning: Misty
  • Origin: English 
  • Siblings: Fawn and Dirk
Misty is a really cute nickname for something like Melissa but I don't really like it on it's own. I know that Misty was a little popular back in the 70's but I feel like it could come back. Now, I do picture this one someone in there 30's or so. 

Muriel (MYOO-ree-sl) 

  • Meaning: Bright as the Sea
  • Origin: Irish 
  • Siblings: Sybil and Wallace
When I look at this name I have trouble pronouncing it but after I hear the pronunciation I am able to say it with no problems. If you remember the show Suite Life of Zack and Cody, than you'll remember the housekeeper named Muriel. I can not see this name on a little baby at all. It's too old-fashioned to me. It sounds nice on a little old lady but not on a young child. 

Myra

  • Meaning: Myrrh 
  • Origin: Greek
  • Siblings: Lorna and Hal
I like Myra because it isn't something you hear very often but it isn't something that is really uncommon. I like the y in the name. Letters like y, w, and x give names a cool look and feel. Myra would also be a great alternative to Maya, a more popular name.

xoxo,
Photobucket

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...